Sunday, July 1, 2007

A little background information

July 1st. that makes it 10 days and counting until Emily Grace's scheduled arrival. I think mom is ready now. We've crossed that point where fear of delivery is now outweighed by the inconvenience of being kicked every thirty minutes, not to mention the rolling around in there. I swear if the baby had a can opener she'd be out by now.

Here's the background: I'll be 50 in January and little Emily has now replaced my mid-life crisis; it's been rescheduled when I'm 90. Instead of a little red sports car I'm shopping for strollers. At this rate, just as the baby's coming out of diapers I'll be going back in. I mentioned to a friend that I'd be teaching Emily how to drive when I'm 65. They said that they hoped I'd lost my license long before then. Emily will be my third daughter her sisters are 17 and 19 respectively. I can hardly wait for her arrival.

Mom is ten years younger and just as surprised by Emily's imminent arrival. This will be her first child. Part of the joy with the arrival of Emily will be seeing my wife holding our baby. She never thought it would happen. My wife has spent the last 13 years working with pre-school children with disabilities. One of the major components of her program is to teach the children to be self sufficient and a lot of that involves helping the parents with parenting skills, i.e. saying no. Let the children do it themselves. My wife could never understand why the parents were incapable of following this advice. Now, when the baby comes home with us the shoe will be on the other foot, so to speak. I know what I'm capable of doing, I've already raised two daughters; although the general opinion is that I can't say "no." So watching Emily's mom cope with, deal with and love little Emily will be my greatest joy. I also work with pre-school age children with disabilities. I've been at it for five years. I'm hoping that this blog will be my and mom's running diary/journal of Emily. It's being written for family but if you've made it this far please feel free to come along for the ride. I'm going to do my best to update daily and I'll include pictures as soon as she gets here.

Dad

No comments: